Patients are now required to request ambulance transport directly.
Who qualifies for this transport?
This transport is for patients who:
- require assistance from skilled ambulance staff
- have a medical condition that would prevent them from travelling to hospital by any other means
- have a medical condition that might put them at risk from harm if they were to travel independently
- have mobility difficulties that require the assistance of ambulance care staff
- are attending hospital for treatment that might have side effects and require ambulance care on the return journey
How do I book this transport?
You may request bookings up to 28 days in advance of your appointment – you will need your appointment letter when you call.
To request ambulance transport to and from your healthcare appointment please call the Scottish Ambulance Service Booking Line on 0300 123 1236.
If you are hard of hearing, deaf or speech impaired, you can contact the Service through Text Relay on: 18001-0300 123 1236.
All calls will be charged at local rates from landlines and mobiles.
Can I be accompanied by my carer?
There are circumstances when you may be accompanied by a carer or escort:
- if you are under 16 years old
- if you have learning difficulties
- if you require more specialist personal support from a carer due to your medical condition or a mental health condition
Cancelling your booking
If you need to cancel a journey which has been booked please call 0800 389 1333 – this call is free from landlines
Further information can be found on www.scottishambulance.com
A leaflet ‘Information for patients who need ambulance care services to attend healthcare appointments’ is available on email@example.com t or by calling 0131 314 0000.